How to Clean tile floors and grout | Best Dustbuster
The hard part of having a beautiful tile floor that looks awesome and impresses everyone is the fact that it needs regular caring and maintenance.
Cleaning tile floors and grout – Step by step process
Today we are here to discuss the same and will be looking some of the easiest ways to clean your tile and grout. So if you want that your flooring should look like new, then you have to keep regularly clean them. Obviously, you can go for the professional help, but that would cost few buck, if that doesn’t sound feasible you can get your hands dirty. Fortunately, it’s quite an easy task as long as you know what you want to achieve and how.
Understanding the cause
It would be quite helpful if we know that how and why the grout gets such dirty in the first place itself, then we can easily choose a suitable cleaning option for them.
For example, in case of the bathroom, the grout stains are mainly caused by the mold, mildew or soap whereas in the case of the kitchen it mainly caused by mildew, household traffic, and food stains. The best way to clean the grout is to clean them using the least acidic cleaners first and when unsuccessful try using a harsher cleaner for the purpose.
What methods are available at your disposal?
Well, there are lots of different options available to clean your tiles and grout and depending on the nature and type of the stain you can use one of the following.
Household cleaning option:
This method of cleaning is used when the stains are not too severe. This approach is capable of taking care of the most common stains that are caused by every day spillage. We call this the household cleaning method because all the components required to clean the grout is available in every household. Let’s have a look on the procedure for this cleaning method.
Make a paste of baking soda and water in 3:1 ratio
Prepare an equal (1:1) solution of white vinegar and water, have it in a spray bottle. Apply the above made baking soda paste on the grout line and spray the vinegar solution over it. Bubbles will start forming indicating that cleaning process has begun. The bubbling will last for few minutes, once it stops the chemical action has stopped.
- Now scrub the grout lines using a nylon or tooth brush along the grout line. While scrubbing give more attention to edges and corners
- Once we are done the cleaning, now we need to mop the floor using plain water to remove the residues of baking soda and vinegar.
- While moping often changes the water. So the cleaners are not spread around the floor.
Generic or commercial grout and tile cleaning products:
If your grout and tiles still look untidy after the household cleaning then my friend you require a tougher cleaning option. Next, in line, we have the generic or commercial cleaning products. These cleaning products are readily available in the market at affordable price. The process of using such products are quite similar to the previous one.
The general procedure involved is as below.
- Apply the cleaner to the tile and grout and wait for some time. See if there are visible actions let get settled.
- Scrub the grout lines and tiles carefully using a nylon or tooth brush along the grout line and tile surface.
- While cleaning, focus on edges and corners.
- Now you need to mop the floor with clean water and take care that the cleansers are not spread around the floor.
Heavy duty cleaning products:
If you have got yourselves a terrible stain to work with that is far beyond the reach of above-said methods, then heavy duty cleaning comes in. The heavy duty cleaners comprise of Oxygen Bleach powder, Hydrogen peroxide solution, Chlorine bleach, etc. All of these products are highly oxidizing in nature and must be diluted according to before use. The general procedure for this method is mentioned below.
- Make a small portion of the solution to test in an underlying area, just to check its effect on tiles and grout. If the above solution does not hamper the color and texture of your grout then prepare the solution for final cleaning.
- Now carefully pour the solution on the grout line, and wait for few minutes.
- Now scrub the grout line back and forth with the help of a nylon brush
- While scrubbing takes care of the edges and corners as dirt gets accumulated over there.
- Some stains are much tougher and need high strength cleaner, so prepare a small concentrated solution separately for such case and use accordingly.
- Now pour clean water on the floor and mop it clean
Professional Steam cleaning:
Perhaps it is quite uneconomical for some people, but it is one of the best ways to clean grout and tiles. All you have to do is to get a steam cleaner and follow the simple instructions. Here your grout is safe from getting De-colorized and damaged by chemicals and besides it sanitizes the entire floor. Let’s see how to use a steam cleaner to clean your tiles and grout.
- First of all, you will need to assemble your cleaner properly, read the user manual carefully.
- Now fill the reservoir with clean water, don’t add any chemical or detergents to it.
- Plug in the cleaner and allow it prepare the required stream for cleaning purpose.
- Now move the cleaning brush back and forth over the grout, starting from one side of the room.
- After you are done, mop the floor using a towel as steam will condense into the water making the floor slippery.
Well, it depends on the stain that what kind of approach you are going to follow. In my advice start with the method which is least harsh on your grout and tiles and advance if it is incapable to clean them. One of the best ways to prevent your tile and grout is to clean them. To know more in detail how you can clean your tile with minimum effort you can read the article The Best Way To Clean Ceramic Tile Floors and for the best-recommended vacuum for tile floors.